Home > Victims of Crime > Support if You are a Witness to a Crime

Support if You are a Witness to a Crime

Author: Dave Howell - Updated: 7 August 2013 | commentsComment
Witness To Crime Victim Of Crime Court

Most of the cases that come before the courts don't actually require the witnesses to the crime to go to court to give their evidence. When the police interviewed you they would have taken a full statement. Both the defence and prosecution lawyers will decide if they need to ask you any further questions that will require that you appear at the court in person.

If you are called to court as a witness there are few ways you can get out of not appearing. However, if you can produce a doctor's note that clearly states that you have a medical condition that prevents you from coming to court, you may be excused a court appearance. Remember that if you are summoned to court as a witness you must appear. If you don't you could be arrested, fined and even sent to prison as failure to appear is contempt of court, which is a serious offence.

Being a Witness

When you report a crime to the police they may ask you come to the police station to look at photographs of convicted criminals to try and identify the person or persons you witnessed committing the crime. You may also be asked to take part in an identity parade. This is completely anonymous, as the people in the parade can't see you. Before you leave the police station you will be given a leaflet called 'Witness in Court' that is produced by the Home Office. You can download a copy from the Home Office website at: www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/witness.pdf.

Criminal cases will usually go before a magistrates' court, but more serious crimes could be sent to the Crown Court. If you are called to the Crown Court, you will have to give your evidence before a judge and jury. You should only have to go to court once to give your evidence unless the courts ruling is appealed against in which case if a new trial is ordered, you may have to give your evidence again.

Going to Court

One the day you have to give your evidence make sure you:

  • Arrive at the court with plenty of time. The letter from the court will have informed you, date and time of your case.
  • Dress smartly.
  • Take something to read or otherwise occupy your time as you could be waiting for some time for your case to be heard.
  • Take a friend. Going to court can be very traumatic. If you don't have a friend that can go with you, the Witness Support program can help you.
  • Take some money, as you will need to buy refreshments throughout the day.

Witness Support

The thought of standing in court and giving evidence can be a daunting prospect for most people. To help people cope with being a witness, the Witness Support Service run by Victim Support can help you before, during and after you have given your evidence. There is a Witness Support service across the UK. You can get contact details on their website at: www.victimsupport.org.uk. In Scotland you can call the Victim Support helpline that can give you information about witness support on: 0845 6039 213.

Young Witnesses

Being a witness in court can be a very traumatic experience for children. The NSPCC's Young Witness Support program can help children when they are faced with a court hearing in a criminal case. Their help is impartial in that they focus on the needs of the child and have no knowledge of the cases that the child is a witness in. The service also supports the child after the trial has ended as children may have issues that they still need support dealing with. You can get more information about this service by telephoning: 0808 800 5000.

Very young witnesses are often given the chance to give their testimony via video link. This is to protect the child from any excessive stress as they give their evidence. You should ask your solicitor or Victim support about how this system works and if your child could benefit by using a video link.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
Thank you, I love how doctor Chantrenne is always absolutely right all the time on every subject, amazing person you are lady! and thinking about it, I just kind of agree with all because your point of view prevents an argument and closes the subject. No matter what you have to say .o).
Lawrence - 15-Mar-13 @ 2:46 PM
We all know in today's world, nobody can report a crime anonymously....Here in the US every 911 call is taped and traced After that, if it goes to trial, the person who reported the crime must testify and face a defense lawyer who is determined to ruin the reporter's credibility and attack the reporter's character by any means and just trying to break up a crime in progress can get you physically harmed or .... maybe killed. So ... let's not be so quick to judgment here ....Most people do the right thing or try to do the right thing..... butin some situations, however .... doing the right thing can ruin your life.... yep...
Coco Chantrenne, M.B - 7-Dec-12 @ 12:50 AM
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • betty
    Re: What Happens Before a Court Appearance?
    hello iam a victim off abuse as my patner was bused to me , iam waiting to go crown court i had to do other stament…
    28 November 2014
  • CourtroomAdvice
    Re: Probation and Community Sentencing
    @Marley654 - The National Careers Service information should give you all the information you need link h
    28 November 2014
  • marley654
    Re: Probation and Community Sentencing
    I had 1 year probation which has been complete when will , y crb be cleard or when will it say on my crb spent
    28 November 2014
  • Speckles
    Re: Police and Court Bail
    @CourtroomAdvice - Thankyou, but this is a police basil, there has been no court order to date and I don't even know if it will go to…
    27 November 2014
  • CourtroomAdvice
    Re: Police and Court Bail
    @speckles - as specified in the article, while on police bail you can apply at the magistrates court to vary the conditions, although there…
    27 November 2014
  • CourtroomAdvice
    Re: Release on Home Detention Curfew
    @Hell tom - you would have to speak to his solicitor to answer your question.
    27 November 2014
  • Bee
    Re: What Happens at an Immigration Hearing?
    @jay - normally they tell you when it is adjourned when the new date will be, I imagine it will be quite quickly.
    27 November 2014
  • speckles
    Re: Police and Court Bail
    I was arrested and not charged for 'outraging public decency' in London back in September but released on bail without charge after a few…
    27 November 2014
  • Matthew
    Re: Police and Court Bail
    @Twanky - She keeps getting bailed again because they haven't yet been able to charge her. The extra time allows police to carry out…
    27 November 2014
  • Hell tom
    Re: Release on Home Detention Curfew
    My boyfriend was told 3 weeks ago he could have tag but to a bail hostel his solicitor has wrote to the govenor and said he…
    26 November 2014
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the CourtroomAdvice website. Please read our Disclaimer.