Home > Victims of Crime > Victim Support After a Crime

Victim Support After a Crime

By: Dave Howell - Updated: 11 Jun 2021 | comments*Discuss
Victim Support Violent Crime Victim

Victims of crime do not have to suffer alone. If you have become a victim of a crime you can get help, advice and support form a number of organisations. They can give you comfort and practical advice to help you cope with the stress that being a victim can often bring. Victims of violent crime in particular can feel isolated and afraid. It's important to realise that you are not alone and that the police, courts and support agencies are there to help you.

Help for Victims

If you have become the victim of a crime you can get help and support from Victim Support that is a government funded organisation that has been especially set up to offer practical help to the victims of crime. Their website contains helpful information and advice that can ensure you always feel that you have someone to turn to while your case moves through the courts.

You can contact Victim Support by telephoning: 0845 30 30 900 or by visiting their website: www.victimsupport.org.uk/vs_england_wales.

Help for Witnesses

Victims of crime are often also witnesses to crime. Victim Support can offer special counselling if you have witnessed a crime. It is important that you talk to someone as suffering in silence can lead to feelings of depression and isolation. In most cases you won't have to appear in court, but if you do have to appear as a witness, the Witness Support program can help you before, during and after your court case. You can download a useful leaflet from the Victim Support website that covers what to expect if you do have to go to court.

Young Victims Support

If you are a victim or a witness to a crime this can be very stressful for young people in particular. It's important to talk to someone about your experiences. This could be a member of your family, or a close friend. Victim Support also have a website that is especially for young people who need support after being the victim of a crime.

Victim Support in Scotland

As in England and Wales, Scotland has its own dedicated victim support service. The service is completely free and confidential. Their volunteers can come to your home if you need support. They are also available by telephone and have services for witnesses and for young people who have been victims of crime. Their telephone helpline is: 0845 6039 213, or you can visit their website at: www.victimsupportsco.org.uk.

Also, if you are the victim of a crime committed by a young person, you can get support via the VOYCE (Victims Of Youth CrimE) scheme. They can be contacted by telephoning: 01382 305 735.

Victim Support in Northern Ireland

More than 50,000 people have been helped by the victim support service in Northern Ireland. It offers similar services to the England and Wales offices. You can contact their victim support helpline on 0845 30 30 900, or look up your local office on their website: www.victimsupport.org.uk/vs_ni/contact/contact.html.

Getting Compensation

Don't forget that in many cases as a victim of violent crime (called a criminal injury) you may be able to claim compensation. In England, Wales and Scotland you need to get a form from the CICA (Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority). You can contact them by telephoning: 0141 331 2726. In Northern Ireland you need to contact the Compensation Agency by telephoning: 028 90 2499 44.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I will make it clear if a person is a victim of police crime then the united kingdom ensures severe suffering there is no organisation to help nor to talk to if a victim of police crime. fact victim support run by the police is not for police crimes. I make it very clear many people suffer police crimes police lies police assault and so forth but there is NO VICTIM SUPPORT FOR ANYONE a victim of police crime. There is also no legal provision for a person a victim of police crime to get legal aid for representation. the system sucks in the united kingdom even if you found a police actions solictior to file a police complaint it must go to the constabulary with the police office that has committed a crime and there is nothing but police cover up and phoney files of lies are not turned over to IPPC/IOPC for them to dismiss a police officer. even IPPC/IOPC does not prosecute a police officer for police crimes trespass and so forth assault faulty procedures and so forth what kind of crap is it to people with police knocking on doors doing alcohol tests when a person isnot out driving. the POLICE ARE VERY SERIOUSLY EVERY DAY getting away with a police cime on some one and no one gets any support anywhere
LadyTrojan - 11-Jun-21 @ 9:39 PM
Hi there my story is am was marriage and i have two kids so since 10/2011 some group security & with police there using a device on my testicles then there cud blood suppler after that they told my GP to not tell what happens so i was knew that something not right i gong on at time then also there using for kids too so i make more ten call to helpline then also 101 the person who picpup my call he or she soon as knew that is me turn off or cud the call or even there asked me if i knew other Language so wan there thought am not stopping just keeping for seeking for help or making complaint so they start to tells everyone where i leaves then they can win the public so that no one can see the is wrong these what happens i don,t why but these what they then so after fee years also my close friends there also left me with no reason then some others friends she was heir sister police force then i told heir what happens for me she was hear this story someone says to heir there one guys the police liked to do something for him if you like then report him and they also will help you if you have a issues these what everyone daze so all of that about me and she don,t knew that was me because i left where we leaves so wan i call heir for help then she told me you are in market everyone reporting you she says that one of heir friends give heir some Number and web-saidif she like to report me so she tell heir family the person that people taking about him that is Dawood and making like this to kill him so these what dawood he call me today so since that time there collect nearly hole city what they then about me even my Neighbourhood all off them report me very long time a go but i don,t knew about at all the wan one day i call then Neighbourhood officers come to see me then i told him how they then about me the way the Advice so he was knew that is tour but the officer said that i need to book to see the doctors because what i told him is mantel ills but some times after the injury i want to walking centre at the time was there give me treatment for two weeks so because there still using that tings on some place the injury not recovery every time i goes for GP they saying is Normal nothing in there so in 19/04/2018/i want walking canter for clinic GUM so they check what i have but there refuse to give me treatment week before that i was see in GP so for that reason they like to cover that then told me that nothing in there but go if anything then comeback but i was very weeks because if my ills at that days then there told everyone who are involved report me for them that now no one have borlimes because if happen to him anything now we can say that was because of ills By A HIV so these what they are told everyone also this because they don,t like the people come close to me also like may someone can says something then i can know what going on so then they make over for others like student vises or someone need vises for his family so am in Auction and t
No - 29-Nov-19 @ 9:39 PM
My partner was victim of a vicious dog attack where he and 4 other people were attacked. It went to court over 12 months ago and all injured parties including my partner were awarded compensation. All parties claimed to recieve the compensation. The only correspondance any of us have had is a letter detailing the conviction of the defendant and amount of compensation to be recieved, this was over 9 months ago with no advice as to what to do next. Do we chase this up or just wait as we have no idea if there is a time limit on recieving said compensation?
Hev - 8-Jul-19 @ 3:37 PM
i v been abused i need death/// £150 west green rd mohammed m.alam islington beriol support 800£ deed
maqz - 2-Dec-16 @ 9:38 PM
my home was set on in an arson attack we lost everything samantha17,Blake13 and tyrone12
Mumma - 22-Sep-16 @ 6:13 PM
I got stabbed in my back and defendant charge with section 18 and 20 intent to wound can you claim even tho he not been sentenced yet he on remand at the moment his trial in Nov 2016
Riz - 11-Aug-16 @ 6:26 PM
Hi my brother-inlaw was stabbed during a feud with neighbours its has been 3 yrs since and he filed for çompensation but has been refused as they are saying he went out of the safety of his home and knowinly summit was going to happen can he still get compensation or not with another solicitor plZ help
Confused - 12-Feb-16 @ 12:56 PM
@Survivor - I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have included a link to one of our partner articles How to Complain About the Courts and Police, link here. I hope this helps.
CourtroomAdvice - 10-Feb-15 @ 2:53 PM
Please help, during a heated, (but not physical or threatening argument) with a dog owner over the treatment of his animals, I was assaulted, literally beaten, and cut leaving a lasting disfiguration.CPS decided to prosecute.However and to my jaw dropping amazement, the defendants were found not guilty - something to do with evidence, but didn't quite hear all of the closing statement due to shock. They have completely got away with a vicious attack.Can I now take them through civil proceedings of any kind? please help, I have been searching and asking for information but no agency or independent body appears to be willing / knowledgeable to advise on how I as a victim can proceed further? Please help me.
Survivor - 6-Feb-15 @ 1:15 PM
Please help,I was assaulted, literally beaten, and cut leaving a lasting disfiguration. CPS decided to prosecute. However and to my jaw dropping amazement, the defendants were found not guilty - something to do with evidence, but didn't quite hear all of the closing statement due to shock.They have completely got away with a vicious attack. Can I now take them through civil proceedings of any kind?please help, I have been searching and asking for information but no agency or independent body appears to be willing / knowledgeable to advise on how I as a victim can proceed further.kindest regards,Cheryl
Survivor - 6-Feb-15 @ 12:47 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • susie sunshine
    Re: Pre-Sentence Reports
    I was recently in court and the guy was charged with sexual assault and harassment, he went innocent ,but sadly lost it under cross…
    24 May 2024
  • Sprogs
    Re: What Will Happen if I Don't Turn Up at Court?
    What happens if you don't turn up for a court hearing.. On the 10/04/2024 I attended a court hearing at…
    11 April 2024
  • Shem
    Re: Probation and Community Sentencing
    I've been asking to move office for the last 3 months. My probation office has refused to move me.ive served 2 years on…
    21 March 2024
  • P1P
    Re: Information About Parole Board Hearings
    My son had his parole hearing on 22nd Feb2024, he was granted release, he was told he would be released after a…
    6 March 2024
  • Loger
    Re: Probation and Community Sentencing
    I finished my order in January I am up for breach in April now my order is finished do I have to still attend probation…
    5 March 2024
  • social-issues
    Re: Pre-Sentence Reports
    Hello hk, I can't see what the problem is, unless the subject is planning to be unavailable. If what you are saying is that the Probation…
    28 February 2024
  • Paul778883
    Re: Failure to Attend Jury Service
    I would just ignore the letter. Bin it then if if it does hit the fan just say you never knew. Even then if they call me in I…
    21 February 2024
  • Kim
    Re: Make a Claim in the Small Claims Court
    Elderly parents got a builders quote for works. Agree to price, builder said half up front in cash for materials,…
    15 February 2024
  • Tonks
    Re: What Will Happen if I Don't Turn Up at Court?
    My partner is in court in Birmingham Crown in June CPS have ordered me to court on this date I've with drawn…
    10 February 2024
  • Jasica
    Re: Handling a Divorce
    Hello I need all kinds of help. But I don't know English so I am going through difficult times. Because I am very weak physically and…
    5 February 2024